Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Why Write??

Have you ever wondered why writers write?

What drives relatively sane people to glue themselves to a computer, tuning out the rest of the world? Why do we spend hours searching for the right word, trying to get into the heads of the characters we've created? Is there something abnormal about people like us? Well...maybe we are a bit strange, sometimes wierd...but in a very good way, I think.

I'll tell you why I write. I write because I cannot "not write!" Writing is one of my greatest passions in life. I love creating fictional worlds, plots, and characters. Writing is a way to explore and work through the complexities of life.

Most importantly, however, writing can be a way to help other people. A way to expand their horizons, to help them see the world in a different light, to find a sense of hope.

It's great to sell books, rewarding to make a few bucks in royalties. The biggest reward for me, however, is to hear from my readers.

I write because there are people like "Stephanie" out there...she recently sent me an email telling me what my novel, "Waters of the Dancing Sky," meant to her: "Your writing inspired me and touched me in many ways. I cried, laughed, and smiled throughout. The story drew me in and led me on an amazing journey which I will ponder for days to come. Your words touched my soul, and revitalized me in many ways."

Thank you, Stephanie, for making my day!

Stay tuned, and please stay in touch.

Janet Kay
www.watersofthedancingsky.com

2 comments:

  1. Very well said Jan...I think that for many of us, it is the touching of spirit to spirit that will drive us to new thoughts and heights...when something touches us so deep that we can't explain in words...ya, that is "it."
    Thanks for sharing...love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Anna...it is the touching of spirit to spirit that releases us into new dimensions, new thoughts, new reasons for being. You got it right...and I love learning from you!























    Yes, Anna...You are so right! It truly is the touching of spirit to spirit that drives us all into new dimensions that we've never before dreamed of...

    ReplyDelete