Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Traveling Back In Time ...

Have you ever felt that you belonged in another time, another place? Do you identify with people, places, and things associated with another era? If so, you're not alone! I must confess that I've always identified with the Victorian era, and with the world of Emily Dickinson. Several editors have told me that my writing style is quaint, reminiscent of the Victorian era. Is that all bad??

Anyway, I recently had an opportunity to travel back to the Victorian era, courtesy of the Dickens on The Strand Victorian Holiday Festival on Galveston Island, Texas. This annual celebration is held in the Strand National Historic Landmark District which is filled with Victorian-era buildings, brick cobble-stoned streets, gas lamps, and horse-drawn carriages. Many of the participants (including yours truly) dressed in Victorian costumes. Victorian music filled the air.

Highlights included Victorian bed races, parades, a Piccadilly circus, a living history encampment commemorating the war between the states, jugglers, magicians, Victorian Christmas carolers, Victorian arts,crafts and turkey legs! Down on the Galveston wharf, we also toured the 1877 tall sailing ship, Elissa, Texas' official tall ship.

My Texas grandchildren weren't sure, at first, if they wanted to be seen with crazy Grandma Jan in her lacy black Victorian costume and feather hat! However, once we arrived on The Strand, they realized that I obviously fit in with the other guests.

I'm inspired by all that I saw and learned at this unique celebration. That means, of course, that I'm now researching Galveston and its unique Victorian era. Someday, I hope to set a novel here on this fascinating island in the Gulf of Mexico.

You can check Dickens out at www.galvestonhistory.org.

Stay tuned and please stay in touch!

Janet Kay
www.watersofthedancingsky.com

No comments:

Post a Comment