Friday, July 8, 2011

AN ODE TO KETTLE FALLS, VOYAGEUR'S NATIONAL PARK


THE FALLS CALLS ...

Churning kettles of root beer-flavored foam
bubbling, boiling, tumbling down thundering falls
into swirling pools of frosty white geysers
surging like tidal waves against ancient faces
of black granite worn smooth with time

Shaded by clumps of evergreen and sumac
sprouting precariously from prehistoric crevices
dotted with dainty moss roses of delicate pink -
swaying to the rhythm of wind and water
dwarfed by the power of the falls ...

Dwarfed by the power of the falls ...
I, too, shrink into tininess, into insignificance
drifting backward, forward in time
slipping silently through misty seas
diving deeper, deeper yet
until I'm flowing
in sync, once more,
with the spirits of the universe.

*********************************

Yes, Kettle Falls is a special place for me. I sat by the falls, absorbing inspiration, as I wrote my novel, Waters of the Dancing Sky.

Stay tuned, and please stay in touch!

Janet Kay
www.watersofthedancingsky.com

1 comment:

  1. I too have tasted the "Rootbeer" flavoured (colored) waters of the Voyageurs Grand portage region. I will follow you and perhaps you will return the favour.
    http://well-readbooks.blogspot.com/

    Jim

    ReplyDelete