Friday, August 12, 2011

TIME TO HIT THE ROAD ...


The writer in me is restless... it's time to start my next novel, tentatively titled "Amelia 1865" or "Prairie Rose." Before I begin, however, I need to hit the road. I need to explore the places where my novel will be set, to learn about the people, the history, the culture.

You see, I'm a place writer of "destination" novels. It's important to me that my readers identify with the places where my characters live. It means a lot to me when readers tell me that after reading my book, they are planning a trip to the place where it is set.

So...this time I'm off for several enchanting destinations. First, to Walnut, Iowa, officially known as "Iowa's Antique City." It's a small village of brick streets lined with turn-of-the-century historic buildings filled with antiques. Home of Prairie Rose State Park. A refreshing place where small town spirit lives on.

My final destination is the old western ghost town of Virginia City, Montana. Nestled in the mountains at the foot of Boot Hill Cemetery, Virginia City was a bustling gold mining town in the 1860's.

The basic premise of my novel is this: WHAT IF a restless spirit comes back to life seeking revenge for her murder in a previous lifetime?

She's a bored farm girl growing up in rural Iowa. Commitment-phobic, she stands her fiance up at the altar and heads west towards an unknown destination. A mysterious force drives her to the old western ghost town of Virginia City, Montana.

Why does she finally feel at home here, somehow recognizing old historical landmarks? Flashbacks begin to flow through her soul, driving her to a cemetery nestled in the mountains overlooking the valley. Here she discovers an overgrown gravestone inscribed, "AMELIA 1865." No last name, no date of birth.

Obsessed with discovering the truth about this long-forgotten woman, Rose finds herself flashing back and forth between two different realities - her current sheltered life and that of a "hurdy gurdy girl" struggling to survive in the Wild West. Rose's own life depends upon her ability to merge these realities into something that makes sense.

This strange journey becomes more complicated when a love interest materializes and throws her off balance. This relationship becomes a bizarre dance twisting and turning between love and hate. Can she still accomplish her mission? Does it matter?

Stay tuned and please stay in touch!

Janet Kay
http://www.watersofthedancingsky.com


6 comments:

  1. Whew......I can't wait to read this novel....It will be another best seller Jan,I can tell....Much luck on your travels....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know what happens. Can't wait to read it. Have fun in your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always dreamed about moving to New zealand and begin my writing process there!

    its so exciting seeing a writers process and wish you all the best on your book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, everyone. Yes, A.J., I hope you can at least spend some time in New Zealand to begin your writing process there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've totally hooked me--great storyline! I'm already imagining what Walnut, Iowa, is like and I'll be joining you vicariously on your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have reminded me that I need to visit some places for research too. I love your storyline!

    ReplyDelete